Friday, February 11, 2011

A Week That is Best Happy Left Behind

I am very happy that my wonderful friend, Sister of my Heart, Lily, has returned from China.
After seeing her mother through major surgery in their village in NE China, she stayed for a few days of the Spring Festival. We call it Chinese New Year. Her husband, Jin, has also been in China during this time, but they have not been together, due to work demands. He will finally return here tomorrow. We all miss him very much. Lily is one of the strongest, and bravest women I have ever known. I love her very much, and have loved her since I first met her. It is amazing, how one can meet someone from halfway around the world and instantly know we are connected at the deepest level - at the heart. I am so very grateful for her friendship.

This week has been for me a time of falling back. Into the fog...of depression; of anxiety. I screwed up my meds for possibly ten days or so, before I realized it. By the time the symptoms appeared, it was late enough that depression had already set in. So I am back on schedule, in terms of taking my full load of drugs. I even resent having to take all the drugs; however, I know this will pass. In another couple of days, I should be back to 'normal' in terms of my mood and having the 'fog' lifted. I hate that this happens. I also accept that this is part of my life now.

A member of our MeetUp Group was killed in a tragic ski accident a week ago. She was a highly skilled rescue team member of a local mountaineering ski group, and a champion in racing competitions. She was also a physical therapist at a local hospital. All this despite having traumatic brain injury. She was hit by a car while riding her mountain bike 7 years ago.  A very strong, brave woman.  We will miss her very much.

There has been other good news today. Leo, my caramel tiger kitty, has been coughing for a while now.  It has gotten worse, and my fears about what it might be have been terrible. I finally got up my nerve and took him for his second vet visit today. The first, a month ago, did nothing to help him. This time, I feel far more confident that what he has is simply asthma, and that it can be controlled. So, I am no longer worried that I might lose my little lover boy to some horrendous disease such as heart worms. Thank you, God.

So, I will go and visit Lily and Jin on Saturday. They will cook some fabulous Chinese food (the real kind) and I will bring dessert. We will play UNO and drink wine and beer and Cocoa the Wonder Dog will charm everyone, as usual. I believe a newcomer from Shanghai will be there to enjoy our way of weekend celebrating.

As I mentioned before, I usually bring dessert, since Chinese people do not have traditionally have ovens and baking is a foreign concept (literally). However, I like the idea of sharing American traditions as well.

This baking cookbook has fabulous recipes that are simple, yet elegant. I love the photos and tips, and when I need to bring something homemade to a dinner party, this is the book I reach for, every time.

It is spiral bound, which means it sits flat on your surface. The illustrations provide great visual ideas of what you are going for...I think this is so helpful. There are substitutions, allowances for different types of pans, just so many tips and bits of advice for cooks and bakers at all levels of experience.

I just might show up with dessert along with this wonderful cookbook for our weekend get-together.

It has been, after all, a week that is best happy left behind.

Let us hope for better days, most especially for those in Egypt and Tunisia.

Stay tuned. Wishing you all well.

Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment